Company highlights major milestones achieved over the past year
DENVER, Jan. 31, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, DaVita recognizes the impact its employees, known as teammates, had on kidney care in 2022. Over the last year, DaVita made strides in innovation and clinical excellence while uplifting the communities it serves.
"For more than 20 years, DaVita has been committed to making a lasting, positive impact on health care and the lives we touch along the way," says Javier Rodriguez, CEO of DaVita. "As I reflect on the incredible contributions made by our teammates in 2022, I'm proud to work alongside dedicated individuals who believe in our vision to deliver transformative, holistic care to our patients."
In 2023, DaVita will continue its work to help support equitable access to care for its patients at every stage and setting along their kidney health journey.
"From prioritizing optimal modality starts for our patients to working to help improve access to transplantation, we will continue raising the bar for what kidney care can be," Rodriguez added.
Following are key highlights of the achievements DaVita teammates made in 2022.
Improving the lives of patients
- More than 92,000 DaVita patients were referred for a transplant at least once by the end of 2022, resulting in the provider's highest referral rate ever.
- Approximately 7,800 DaVita patients received a kidney transplant, resulting in its highest number of annual transplants ever.
- Peritoneal dialysis (PD) and home hemodialysis (HHD) patients increasingly used connected cyclers and DaVita's patented technology, DaVita Care Connect®, enabling more convenient access to home treatment data and two-way communication with their care team.
- DaVita Clinical Research launched the Chronic Kidney Disease & Rare Disease Network to include more sites of care that provide greater opportunities for participation, while also enhancing diversity in the research population.
- Kidney Smart developed a Home Edition class that expanded its home modality-specific education to further address both HHD and PD modality options.
- More than 31,300 people participated in a Kidney Smart® class—another record-setting year of engagement for the kidney disease education program.
- To further develop DaVita's nephrology nursing talent pipeline, DaVita's nursing team established a strategy that allows aspiring student nurses to complete their practicum hours in DaVita® dialysis centers and immerse in the day-to-day caregiver experience. Student nurses who are hired as graduate nurses at DaVita can continue their nephrology specialty learning through a hands-on, 12-month transition-to-practice curriculum.
Advancing innovation in kidney care
- DaVita Venture Group continued its support of innovations that have the potential to transform care for patients at different stages of their kidney care journey, including:
- Transplant: Acquired a transplant software company to create greater connectivity among transplant candidates, transplant centers, physicians and care teams, with the aim of improving the experience and outcomes for kidney and liver transplant patients.
- End-of-Life Care: Invested in a serious illness management startup that offers tech-enabled advance care planning and virtual palliative care.
- Renal Pharmaceuticals: Invested in a new pharmaceutical company to bring potentially life-changing drugs for end stage kidney disease (ESKD) to market.
- Cardiovascular Care: Partnered with a virtual cardiology care company to support accelerated access to cardiac care for DaVita patients.
- DaVita Integrated Kidney Care (IKC) extended the benefits of integrated care to over 33,000 new patients, including those with chronic kidney disease and ESKD.
- DaVita IKC launched multiple new value-based care programs, including two national health plan partnerships, multiple regional health plan and provider partnerships, and participation in 11 Comprehensive Kidney Care Contracting programs with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- DaVita IKC established value-based partnerships with approximately 2,200 nephrologists to support clinical and financial alignment and to assist in achieving best-in-class clinical outcomes.
Enriching communities around the world
- DaVita strengthened its investments in economic mobility.
- To better support economic stability, DaVita made a $15 million Transformational Deposit in HOPE (Hope Credit Union). The Black- and women-owned financial institution provides financial services for underserved communities in Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana and Arkansas.
- DaVita joined the Colorado Health Careers Collaborative to help create equitable, health career pathways for Colorado youth.
- DaVita awarded its first Diversity and Belonging higher education scholarship.
- DaVita continued its work to support health equity for its patients, and in 2022, piloted interventions focused on culturally-relevant patient education, cultural humility training for teammates, physician engagement and community outreach.
- DaVita was one of the first companies to earn Management Leadership for Tomorrow's Black Equity at Work Certification.
- DaVita continued to collaborate with community organizations that support kidney patients and help advance health equity.
- The DaVita Giving Foundation made its first grant of $1.4 million to the Food is Medicine Coalition, an organization that provides medically tailored nutrition to individuals in need.
- DaVita teamed up with The American Diabetes Association to launch an interactive digital experience aimed at helping those living with diabetes prevent and manage kidney disease.
- DaVita teammates tracked 24,000 volunteer hours and supported 1,600 causes through giving and volunteerism initiatives.
- DaVita demonstrated its commitment to environmental stewardship.
- In April 2022, DaVita signed the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Healthcare Industry Net Zero Pledge, committing itself to reaching net zero operational emissions by 2050.
- DaVita achieved its first science-based target focused on its Scope 1 & 2 emissions three years earlier than an accelerated target of 2025. Initially DaVita set this goal to be completed by 2030.
- DaVita's first Move It with Purpose event raised over $650,000 to benefit Bridge of Life, a nonprofit founded by DaVita with international programs supporting the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases.
- 56 DaVita nurses were honored with The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses®.
- Javier Rodriguez was named as one of the Denver Business Journal's Most Admired CEOs.
- DaVita received other notable awards and recognitions, including:
- Business Group on Health's Best Employers Award. DaVita was awarded in three areas: Excellence in Health and Well-being, Excellence in Mental Health and Excellence in Health Equity awards.
- Denver Post Top Workplace. DaVita was recognized on this list for the ninth year, demonstrating how DaVita is living its mission to be an Employer of Choice in Colorado.
- Healthiest 100 Workplaces in America. This program honors the "best of the best" in corporate health and wellness.
- Dow Jones Sustainability Indices. DaVita was included in the 2022 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices and recognized for its corporate responsibility initiatives and performance in regards to ESG practices. This marks the fifth year in a row for DaVita to be named to the list.
About DaVita Inc.
DaVita (NYSE: DVA) is a health care provider focused on transforming care delivery to improve quality of life for patients globally. The company is one of the largest providers of kidney care services in the U.S. and has been a leader in clinical quality and innovation for more than 20 years. DaVita cares for patients at every stage and setting along their kidney health journey—from slowing the progression of kidney disease to helping to support transplantation, from acute hospital care to dialysis at home. As of September 30, 2022, DaVita served 200,000 patients at 2,776 outpatient dialysis centers in the United States. The company also operated 352 outpatient dialysis centers in 11 other countries worldwide. DaVita has worked collaboratively to help propel the kidney care industry to adopt an equitable and high-quality standard of care for all patients, everywhere. To learn more, visit DaVita.com/About.
The statements contained in this document are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of CMS. The authors assume responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the information contained in this document.
This press release contains or refers to certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the federal securities laws including, among other things. Without limiting the foregoing, statements including the words "expect," "intend," "will," "may," "continue," "target," "goal" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. The Company bases its forward-looking statements on information available to it on the date of this presentation, and undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of changed circumstances, new information, future events or otherwise, except as may otherwise be required by law. Actual future events could also differ materially due to numerous factors that involve substantial known and unknown risks and uncertainties including, among other things, the risks and uncertainties set forth under "Risk Factors" and elsewhere in the Company's reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and the other risks and uncertainties discussed in any subsequent reports that the Company files with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time.
SOURCE DaVita Inc.