DENVER, Jan. 23, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- DaVita Inc. (NYSE: DVA), a leading provider of kidney care services in the United States and in 11 countries around the world, today announced that the company was recognized by Newsweek Green Rankings as a 2017 Top Green Company in the U.S. The company has appeared on the list every year the award program has run since 2009 and moved up 100 spots since 2016.
"Our teammates' commitment to green practices helps spreads ripples far beyond the workplace," said Kent Thiry, chairman and CEO of DaVita. "As a community first and company second, it is our duty to foster environmentally sustainable communities throughout our business."
In 2007, DaVita created its Village Green program to help steward resources and create protocols that aim to reduce the company's environmental footprint. Village Green provides robust educational opportunities and initiatives for teammates to encourage a shared ownership of conservation efforts.
DaVita celebrated 10 years of sustainability in 2017. Read more about the highlights here.
Village Green initiatives include:
Responsible Electronic Waste Management
- Since 2016, DaVita has diverted 354,610 pounds of electronic waste from the landfill. Through recycling and reuse programs, the energy saved is equivalent to powering 3,096 homes for a year or removing 5,330 cars off the road.
Earth Day Village Service Days
- On Earth Day 2017, DaVita teammates, family, and friends contributed 14,900 hours towards 194 environmental projects in their local communities across 11 countries. Since 2014, DaVita teammates have contributed more than 31,000 volunteer hours towards environmental projects.
Reusable Sharps Goal
- DaVita achieved its first 2020 Environmental goal of launching reusable sharp containers to 70 percent of locations. To date, 81 percent of centers have adopted reusable sharp containers, diverting more than 404 tons of plastic from the landfill.
Food Donation Program
- Since 2016, DaVita has donated more than 30,000 meals through food waste recovery initiatives.
- DaVita LEED certified two buildings in 2017. DaVita now has 623 thousand square feet LEED certified space.
- More than 1,800 teammates are Green Champions, implementing sustainability initiatives at their center or business office. Additionally, DaVita now has 18 green teams across business offices.
- Silver Level Environmental Leader by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
- World Headquarters received Certifiably Green Denver certification in 2017.
For more information about DaVita HealthCare Partners' sustainability efforts, visit DaVita.com/CSR.
Newsweek Green Rankings are one of the world's foremost corporate environmental rankings which assess the 500 largest publicly-traded companies in the United States and the 500 largest publicly-traded companies globally on overall environmental performance. Based on research from Corporate Knights Capital, along with a "Green Revenue" score powered by HIP (Human Impact + Profit) Investor Inc., the 2015 iteration of the project features eight indicators that are used to assess and measure the environmental performance of the world's largest publicly traded companies.
About DaVita Inc.
DaVita Inc., a Fortune 500® company, is the parent company of DaVita Kidney Care and DaVita Medical Group. DaVita Kidney Care is a leading provider of kidney care in the United States, delivering dialysis services to patients with chronic kidney failure and end stage renal disease. As of Sept. 30, 2017, DaVita Kidney Care operated or provided administrative services at 2,470 outpatient dialysis centers located in the United States serving approximately 196,000 patients. The company also operated 230 outpatient dialysis centers located in 11 countries outside the United States. DaVita Medical Group manages and operates medical groups and affiliated physician networks in California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Washington in its pursuit to deliver excellent-quality health care in a dignified and compassionate manner. DaVita Medical Group's teammates, employed clinicians and affiliated clinicians provided care for approximately 1.7 million patients. For more information, please visit DaVita.com/About
SOURCE DaVita Inc.