Top Year for Clinical Excellence, Patient Service, Growth, and Corporate Citizenship
DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 29, 2011-- DaVita, Inc. (NYSE: DVA), a leading provider of kidney care services that is committed to improving the quality of life for those diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (CKD), released a year-end recap of major achievements for the company in 2011.
“DaVita had a strong year in 2011,” said Kent Thiry, DaVita Chairman and CEO. “Our clinical outcomes are the best or among the best in the industry; we took some great steps to support, educate and empower our patients; and we’re growing both domestically and internationally.”
Major initiatives and highlights for DaVita® in 2011 include:
- DaVita QIP Tops Dialysis Industry – In late December, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released its 2012 End-Stage Renal Disease Quality Incentive Program (QIP) Performance Measures results. The ratings are based on anemia management and dialysis adequacy, and the results showed that DaVita significantly outperformed the rest of the industry in QIP performance measures with 76 percent of the company's clinics ranking in the top clinical performance tier.
- DaVita Improves URR in 2011 – Urea Reduction Ratio (URR) is a measure of how effectively a dialysis treatment removes waste from the body and is commonly expressed as a percentage. While there is no fixed percentage to represent "adequate dialysis," studies have shown that patients with a URR of 65 percent or greater are less likely to suffer from such symptoms as nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, weakness or mental confusion; have fewer hospitalizations; and live longer. At the end of 2011, DaVita reported that only 2.7 percent of its patients -- an all-time low -- are below the 65 percent baseline -- a 64 percent improvement overJanuary 2011.
- DaVita’s CathAway™ Program Saves Lives – DaVita has made landmark progress in reducing patient central venous catheter (CVC) rates, a major risk factor for serious infection in kidney patients. In 2008, DaVita established CathAway, the company's seven-step program for reducing the number of hemodialysis patients with catheters. Since the inception of the program, DaVita has witnessed a 30 percent reduction in the number of "Day 90+" catheter patients (i.e., those patients who have been dialyzing at DaVita for 90 days or more using a catheter for dialysis access) and the company is now at an all-time low catheter rate of 15.6 percent inNovember 2011. Kidney and hemodialysis experts consider the fistula -- a surgically connected passageway between an artery and a vein that can be used as an access point for dialysis treatments -- the "gold standard" access choice, and research studies have demonstrated patients with fistulas have the fewest complications, such as infections and clotting, compared to all other hemodialysis access choices. DaVita leads major dialysis providers in the industry in the use of fistulas.
- DaVita Vaccination Rates Lead the Industry - Based on the 2010 USRDS Annual Data Report (reporting claims-based data from 2008), renal industry vaccination rates for influenza and pneumonia were 66.5 percent and 25.2 percent, respectively. Reporting from the same data, DaVita's influenza vaccination rate was at 72.9 percent and its pneumonia vaccination rate was 36.4 percent for 2008. At the end of the first quarter of 2011, DaVita internal tracking shows that it has vaccinated 90.9 percent of its patients for influenza and 90.4 percent of its patients for pneumonia. In November, DaVita announced it had exceeded its goal for patient vaccinations early in the flu season, with 90.4 percent of patients already immunized for the flu virus. Studies have shown that high vaccination rates relate directly to fewer hospitalizations, which can lead to a better quality of life for dialysis patients.
- DaVita Nephrologists Share Expertise Through Social Media – In August, DaVita announced that three of the company’s top nephrologists are sharing their nephrology expertise, perspectives and resources through social media. DaVita's expert bloggers are members of DaVita's Office of the Chief Medical Officer: Allen R. Nissenson, MD, hosts a blog on DaVita's new physician-focused site; Mahesh Krishnan, MD, shares a monthly list of his top clinical reads; and Robert Provenzano, MD, writes about the impact of ACOs on the renal industry on DaVita's Accountable Kidney Care Collaborative site.
- Nissenson Receives AAKP Medal of Excellence Award - The American Association of Kidney Patientspresented the AAKP Medal of Excellence Award to Allen R. Nissenson, MD, FACP, chief medical officer at DaVita. This prestigious honor recognizes nephrologists who have made significant contributions to the advancement and enhancement of patient care. Since joining DaVita in 2008, Dr. Nissenson established National Quality Week and other communication channels with medical directors to improve the quality and safety of patient care. He has been an influential public policy advocate for kidney care patients, and he has worked extensively to promote early detection in the broader community.
- Wireless Internet Launch – Beginning in May, DaVita physicians, patients and teammates were able to connect to the Internet through a secure log-in at each clinic with their own personal data devices. Wireless Internet allows working patients the freedom to choose when and where they work, which translates directly into a better quality of life for those undergoing treatments.
- Re-launch of DaVita.com - DaVita's award-winning website is one of the most popular online destinations for chronic kidney disease education and resources. A new design, launched in April, makes it easier for any kidney patient or caregiver (not just DaVita patients) to find and use interactive tools, access a growing library of kidney disease education articles and explore more than 700 kidney-friendly recipes. Additionally, DaVita launched new physician and hospital sites.
- Spanish Language Website Launched – DaVita launched a Spanish-language website in November to provide easy-to-access information online for Spanish-speaking individuals and families. Hispanics are among the top five ethnic groups at risk for CKD, and DaVita’s website is one of the most popular online destinations for CKD education and resources. Davita.com/espanol/ will provide the same great resources to more people at risk for CKD.
- DaVita Acquires Clinics From DSI Renal, Inc. – DaVita acquired over 100 dialysis centers from DSI Renal, Inc. (DSI), serving approximately 8,000 patients. The acquisition closed in September.
- DaVita Rx® Delivers Five Millionth Prescription - DaVita Rx, the world's first and largest full-service pharmacy dedicated to serving the unique needs of kidney patients, announced in July that it had filled five million prescriptions since the company started delivering medications in 2005. DaVita Rx helps remove barriers for kidney patients, no matter where they dialyze, to getting the medications they need. The business provides flexible payment options, no-cost delivery, refill reminders, reviews for possible drug interactions, and help with health plan paperwork and prior authorizations.
- International Expansion Leads Hired, German International Expansion Announced – In August, DaVita announced the appointments of Atul Mathur and Björn Englund to lead its growing international expansion. Mathur, a veteran operational and business development executive, leads DaVita’s growth in the Asia-Pacific region and is based in Singapore. Englund, who has more than 25 years experience in the European dialysis industry, leads DaVita’s European operations. DaVita acquired a German dialysis services provider in November and now operates clinics through its subsidiaries, joint ventures and management agreements inGermany, India, Malaysia and Singapore.
- New Research Facility and Call Center To Open in Denver Metro Area - DaVita announced in November that the company will bring as many as 200 quality jobs with benefits to the Denver metro area. DaVita Clinical Research® (DCR®) will be expanding its capability by building a new early clinical research unit adding medical, technical and scientific jobs to the community. Additionally, a new DaVita call center will be established in metro Denver focused on placement services for new patients, relocating patients, or traveling patients.
- DaVita HQ Construction Begins, Progresses on Time and on Budget – In February, DaVita held a groundbreaking ceremony for its new headquarters building, which will feature the city’s largest roof-top terrace and next generation, eco-friendly design. The building’s “topping out” ceremony, in which the final beam was placed in the building, was held in November. The building is scheduled for completion in Summer, 2012.
Education, Empowerment, Corporate Citizenship:
- DaVita Kidney Rock Walk™ - DaVita hosted more than 1,100 participants at a 5K fun run/walk on August 6 in Denver's City Park. DaVita Kidney Rock was a free event and featured no-cost kidney disease screenings, a Kidney Health Expo, Kid Zone and a special performance by the DaVita Blues All Stars Band. More than 400 people received kidney disease screenings, and the event raised over $500,000 for Bridge of Life-DaVita Medical Missions.
- Tour DaVita® - The fifth annual Tour DaVita bicycle ride began on Sept. 18 and covered 250 miles from Great Barrington, Mass. to Madison, Conn. More than 400 riders raised over $700,000 in donations to benefit The Kidney TRUST, a nonprofit organization with the mission to reduce the human and economic cost of chronic kidney disease across the United States. DaVita volunteers participated in more than a dozen community service projects in Great Barrington as a kick-off to Tour DaVita, including the remodeling of the Railroad Street Youth Project Drop-In Center.
- Bridge of Life-DaVita Medical Missions – Bridge of Life-DaVita Medical Missions, an independent non-profit organization founded by DaVita, Inc. that focuses on bringing life-saving dialysis to developing countries, announced Lori Vaclavik as its new executive director. Bridge of Life also sponsored seven missions to establish dialysis facilities in developing areas of the world including San Felipe, Guatemala, and Kingston, Jamaica.
- Dialyzer Recycling Pilot - DaVita, in partnership with WM Healthcare Solutions, Inc., a subsidiary of Waste Management, Inc. (NYSE: WM), launched a dialyzer recycling pilot in 106 DaVita dialysis clinics in Southern California. This recycling pilot project was the first known of its kind in North America. The goal of the pilot is to recover reusable materials and recycle those materials into new products. This pilot builds on business solutions developed by BD and WM through the BD ecoFinity™ Life Cycle Solution program, which DaVita is also launching in the 106 pilot facilities. With the BD ecoFinity program, single-use medical sharps devices such as needles and syringes are collected on-site, then treated and processed by WM to recover reusable materials. BD then uses the recycled plastic to make new BD sharps container products, which DaVita purchases for use in its clinics.
- First-Ever Solar Thermal Clinic Shows 75 Percent Reduction in Natural Gas Consumption - DaVita’s first-ever dialysis clinic using solar thermal technology showed a 75 percent reduction in natural gas consumption versus comparable DaVita facilities in the region. If the project remains successful after the pilot period, DaVita hopes to expand the use of solar thermal technology across the country. In the meantime DaVita is testing other energy reduction technologies, including a water turbine in San Francisco.
- DaVita Jumps in Newsweek’s U.S. Green Ranking List - DaVita ranked number 242 in Newsweek’s U.S. Green Rankings List - up 192 spots from last year's ranking. Newsweek’s list is comprised of 500 companies leading in environmental performance in the U.S. DaVita is the only kidney care services provider on the list, and 2011 was the company’s third consecutive year to make the list.
- 2011 Fortune “World’s Most Admired Companies” – DaVita ranked second in the Health Care: Medical Facilities industry. This marks the sixth consecutive year that Fortune has recognized DaVita among the World's Most Admired Companies. Among healthcare providers, DaVita ranked first in innovation and quality of products and services.
- 2011 WorldBlu Most Democratic Workplaces Award - DaVita was once again recognized as the only healthcare and FORTUNE 500 company on WorldBlu's List of Most Democratic Workplaces.
- 2012 G.I. Jobs Top 100 Military-Friendly Employers – DaVita was the top-rated healthcare company on the G.I. Jobs Top 100 Military-Friendly Employers List.
- 2011 Training Top 125 – DaVita was recognized for the seventh year in a row as a top 125 organization excelling at employee development.
- 2011 InformationWeek 500 List – DaVita debuted at number 100, and is the only kidney care company on this list comprising the top 500 most innovative companies in the U.S.
- 2011 ColoradoBiz “Best Companies to Work for in Colorado” – Teammates voted DaVita among the 10 best large companies (those with 250+ employees) to work for in Colorado.
- 2011 ColoradoBiz Top Company – DaVita was named the top health care company in Colorado.
- 2011 Military Times Edge “Best for Vets Employers” – For the second consecutive year, DaVita was recognized for its dedication to recruiting practices, training and mentoring, reserve policies and corporate culture.
- 2011 “Corporate Vision Award” from the Women’s Vision Foundation – DaVita was recognized for demonstrating extraordinary innovation and leadership in the support and advancement of women in their careers by developing leaders, connecting people and inspiring action.
- 2011 eHealthcare Leadership – Platinum award for Best Health/Healthcare Content – Consumer Disease Focused Site, and Gold award for best Overall Internet Site – Consumer Disease Focused Site.
- 2011 Modern Healthcare "100 Most Influential People in Healthcare" (Subscription content) - For the fourth consecutive year, Modern Healthcare recognized Kent Thiry, chairman and CEO of DaVita, among the most influential leaders in the health care industry. Thiry believes that this award should recognize the company as a whole for its influence in healthcare.
- 2012 Institutional Investor magazine Top Three CEO – Kent Thiry, chairman and CEO of DaVita, received third-place honors in the “best CEO” category for the Managed Care and Health Care Facilities sector fromInstitutional Investor magazine. Thiry was nominated by the “buy-side” (i.e., buy-side analysts and portfolio managers) reviewers of Institutional Investor’s survey.
- 2011 Hispanic Business Digital Magazine "100 Influentials" - DaVita Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary Kim Rivera was named one of the most influential Hispanic U.S. citizens to have broad impact acrossthe United States.
- 2011 Denver Business Journal "Outstanding Women in Business" (Subscription content) - DaVita Chief People Officer Laura Mildenberger was named a finalist in the health care category.
DaVita, DaVita Clinical Research, DCR, Tour DaVita, DaVita Kidney Rock, DaVita Rx and CathAway are trademarks or registered trademarks of DaVita, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
DaVita Inc., a Fortune 500® company, is a leading provider of kidney care in the United States, delivering dialysis services to patients with chronic kidney failure and end stage renal disease. DaVita strives to improve patients’ quality of life by innovating clinical care, and by offering integrated treatment plans, personalized care teams and convenient health-management services. As ofSeptember 30, 2011, DaVita operated or provided administrative services at 1,777 dialysis facilities, serving approximately 138,000 patients. DaVita supports numerous programs dedicated to creating positive, sustainable change in communities around the world. The company’s leadership development initiatives and social responsibility efforts have been recognized by Fortune, Modern Healthcare, Newsweek and WorldBlu. For more information, please visit www.davita.com.
Source: DaVita, Inc.
Office: (303) 405-2094
Mobile: (206) 724-3826